Home inspections are impartial and neutral. All states have what is called ‘Standards of Practice’ for home inspectors. As a Home Inspector who is licensed in two states, I adhere to the Standards of Practice in Oregon and the Standards of Practice in Washington. I am also a Certified Home Inspector by the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI). ASHI sets high standards for the home inspection industry.
The following checklist can help your home inspection go smoothly, from communications to preparing areas for access. Knowing what to expect will help you get the best possible home inspection experience.
- Notify the real estate agent.
- Notify the seller.
- Read, sign and send your pre-inspection agreement this will give you an understanding of the scope of the inspection.
- You are encouraged to be there during the inspection (I book 4 hours for inspections).
- Be prepared to be there at the end of the inspection for the review (the last half hour of the inspection).
- Be prepared to pay at the time of inspection with cash, check or credit card (2.75% fee for credit cards). Your report will not be released without payment.
- Provide access to the exterior, decks, patios, garage. Trees, bushes, trash cans, debris or other objects can prevent a home inspector from seeing all of the exteriors. I will need access to the roof, and the ability to inspect gutters, siding, trim, the outside of doors and windows.
- Provide access to all rooms inside and areas including basements, attics, and crawl spaces. Especially closets that provide access to attics and crawl spaces.
- Keep pets kenneled or boarded elsewhere temporarily until after the inspection.
KEEP SYSTEMS ON
- Make sure gas, water, and electricity are all turned on.
- Working light bulbs in all fixtures
- A well-labeled electrical panel
Home Inspection Checklist for Real Estate Agents
We have a home inspection checklist for real estate agents too. Use this checklist to make sure your client gets the best possible home inspection.
Full-Service Home Inspection Services
At Check It Out Home Inspection Services, we offer all the home inspection services you would expect. For example electrical, plumbing, roof, structure, interior, exterior, garage, and grounds, etc. (Go to the Check it Out Home Inspection homepage for a full list of home inspection services). We also offer One-Stop Shopping Home Inspection Services so you can schedule sewer scoping, radon testing, and oil tank searches 24/7 with a single click or call.
Check It Out Home Inspection provides service to the Greater Portland and Vancouver areas.